Friday, February 05, 2010

Friday Random Ten: Way To Go, Genius!

Wow, haven't done one of these for a while.

I'm home today - G., my 3-year-old girl, has a nasty cold and had an absolutely shitty night's sleep, as the bags under my eyes can attest - so I thought to myself... well, here's a little transcript:

JP: Hey, self, what's shakin'?

Self: Not much. Do people really still say that?

JP: Say what?

Self: "What's shakin'?" It's got a disturbing retro vibe, and not in a good way.

JP: I'm a trend-setter. We're often misunderstood whilst performing the setting of trends.

Self: Uh-huh. (Pause) So, um, you wanted to, uh, talk, or something?

JP: Oh, yeah! I just had this great thought! Why don't we -

Self: - use iTunes Genius for the FRT on the blog today?

JP: Yeah! How'd you know?

Self: Dude. I'm you.

JP: Weird. (beat) You're not going to go all Tyler Durden on me, are you?

Self: Aaaand, we're done.

Scene.

Yes, I have a rich and fulfilling life, full of meaning and import. This above is not evidence of that, mind you - I just thought you should know.

And now, the (Genius) list:

Based on: "Hangover Cure for Humanity" by Spouse

1. "The Kids Don't Stand A Chance" - Vampire Weekend
2. "Time Won't Let Me Go" - The Bravery
3. "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" - Radiohead
4. "You Only Live Once" - The Strokes
5. "Shiver (Live)" - Coldplay
6. "Girlfriend" - Phoenix
7. "The Heinrich Maneuver" - Interpol
8. "Trust Me" - The Fray
9. "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" - Vampire Weekend
10. "High and Dry" - Radiohead

And the bonus: "Crooked Teeth" - Death Cab For Cutie

Whoa. You can really see The Wife's musical influences here. Interpol? I didn't even know we owned any Interpol. And Vampire Weekend - I like them well enough, but I would never ever in a million years pick them up on my own. Same with Phoenix, methinks. Still, a decent list. Only one I might question is the inclusion of The Fray, but other than, good on you, Genius!

Now, how about some video?

Spouse:


Death Cab:


Now! Feast! And be merry! Or whatever else it is you do on a Friday - I'm a bit out of touch.

No comments: